Thursday, September 6, 2012

And so it began

Taken with Nokia N900 phone on the road from Kargil to Ladakh


This post may be 2 years late but well, I procrastinated.

My life prepared me for a lot, but certainly not this. All my life, my purpose was singular and now that it was becoming more real, I realized I was suffering from the lack of any purpose.

Although writing had always been with me since I was in high school, I am almost about the laziest writer I know of. But then I know of so few writers, that the earlier statement probably suffers from lack of reliability. Either way, upon finding myself purposeless, I decided to do the next best thing I could think of after writing- Travelling.

Although I had grown up with hippy parents, they refused to go out of the house except in the search of food and money. They’re sort of your medieval parents only more torturous. But that’s a story for another day. What you need to know is that I barely travelled all my life, not counting the trip to Puri, of which all I remember is- We went to Puri and we got back. So this was my chance to conquer the world or well find a purpose.

While a lot of people have told me in my last more than 2 years of consistent travelling that it is somewhat strange to travel alone, I find it intensely liberating and insightful. You can let go of the present thanks to a small space that is neither real nor unreal. It is like choosing an alternate personality for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment